Thursday, April 23, 2009

The art of burger making

Last night i attempted to make garbanzo bean burgers that would be the perfect consistency for my mechanically altered diet for someone with dysphagia ( difficulty swallowing). At first, i thought it was going to take all the fun out of cooking, having to make food that forms a "bolus" in your mouth without chewing. In fact, i had a lot of fun, trying out both pan frying and broiling the patties to get a desired consistency. I felt like a scientist in the kitchen, experimenting with different temperatures, oils, and methods. But really, isnt that what all good cooks do? They experiment while they cook. I wish someone would have brought this up back in science class . . why dont they teach kids about food and science at the same time, instead of only talking about food in health class or home economics?



It does seem kinda ironic that although i have been studying science for both my undergraduate education and graduate program, learning to be a scientist in the kitchen is still frightening to me. I still cling to my recipes and try to follow every step. I know that one of the best ways to cook is through the senses, but i am still trying to remind myself that food is forgiving.

Just like our bodies.

I am also trying to step away from the having a scientific mindset about everything and instead learn through better use of my feelings. I feel that it is easy in my program to get consumed by the scientific knowledge about food and analyze it down to the last molecule. I also feel that my program is unique because it allows me to grow in my relationship with food emotionally and spiritually.

Therefore as with most things, the answer for me is to find a balance between the art and science of cooking. The art will evolve quietly, sometimes without my awareness, and this process requires trust and maybe burning a couple of burgers first!

No comments:

Post a Comment