Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Truthfully . . .

I have heard of new diets which are based upon trying to hide healthy food from children so that they will eat it. These disguised diet, do more harm than good. Why are we hiding good food? Why don’t we tell children whats in food? Where did it begin in history where we gave a piece of food to a child and said, "eat it, its good for you." Since when did we start treating children like they couldn't handle the truth. Children have so much more understanding then we give them credit for? I grew up with a great amount of love and attachment, but i also grew up with very little information about food. My mother cooked a lot, and i remember having to cook a meal for my family for my junior high home economics class, but other than that, i watched my mom cook. I never understood about what made a food whole versus what made a food processed. I never looked at an ingredient list and i didn't really understand where real food came from. But i knew that i loved eating my mom's meals, because they were satisfying and she took time to cook them. I could taste her intention to love through the use of food.



But what does education do for us? I keep thinking back to the ignorance is bliss statement. What we don't know wont hurt us. Now that I'm fully armed with education about food, am i really that much healthier? yes for sure, i have lost weight and my skin looks great, and how about my cravings . .they aren't for chocolate as much as they used to be. But am i happier? I couldn't tell you. I feel that my food choices are made off of what i learn in school, I'm still having trouble allowing myself to eat anything i crave.

SO i guess what I'm trying to say, is what if we teach children how to experience food for themselves, without just telling them to eat vegetables cause they are good for them? What if instead we taught them where food comes from and how farming can change the quality of food and then give them types of food to try and let them be the experts of their own bodies. That way they feel that they had the choice and let their body decide what was good and nutritious for them to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment