Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Where do we turn?

Today marks the first day of fall quarter in my second year of obtaining both my masters degree in nutrition and clinical health psychology. After 8 hours in class, my mind is racing with excitement, anxiety, and eagerness. I feel that I am overstimulated with the amount of information given in the first day. It is as if each professor gives you a snapshot of what the next 10 weeks will be like, as I sit and ponder how I am going to be a master of the material they are presenting in such a short time. There are some classes that I could study the material for years and years, and at times I feel that I get cheated by only studying it for such a short time in my academic career. However, I suppose that is the purpose of obtaining a PhD, which I won't begin to discuss the intense pull that I have felt in that direction, especially since 2 of my profs today had both their RDs and PhDs.

However, despite the overwhelming amount of information that was given to me, I once walked away from the day, satisfied that I am indeed in the right field and pursuing my dream. Last year, I would sit and ponder if I was making the right decision about my future, and I am grateful that my overall feeling today consisted of trst more than anything else. Especially sitting through the first lecture in my Global and Ecological issues in Food class, I was captivated by what my professor was talking about how the missing link in nutrition today is the failure to look outward and to see how our food supply provides us with essential information that communicates messages to our bodies. This shift in focus from internal to external is one that I am eager to explore and so grateful that my education at Bastyr allows to learn.

It was especially helpful to receive a message from my mother this morning, talking about how proud she was of me and my decision to pursue nutrition and psychology. I think she is beginning to see what an intense passion i have for both fields and I am hoping to continue to share this passion with others. A goal that I have for this quarter is to spend time with my studies so that I can explain it to others, so that they not only get my passion for the subject, but a practical view of food and their relationship with it.

Well hopefully there will be more coming soon. I would like to say that I will contribute regularly to this blog, but with school beginning, I am hoping to post at least 2 times a week. Lets start with that, and I will be surprised if I am able to muster up more than that.

Here's to learning, and pondering and being okay with never having all my questions answered all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment